Tuesday 26 February 2013

Pizza Please....Heavy on the Veggies!


Well...I made pizza last the other night for dinner and it was so popular that we decided to have pizza night - twice! This pizza has a whole wheat crust and is baked at a high temp (500 degrees)....and, with convection. Yes, I said it. I do use the convection on my oven, just not for most things. But pizza (and some casseroles) fall under the umbrella of why I'd use convection. It doesn't take long to cook either. I used a large cookie sheet for this and the total bake time was just under 20 minutes. Crunchy crust, bubbly brown cheese....Yummmm!


I like to start with the crust! (clearly.....)

In your bread maker put: 

1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups water
2 TBSP Olive oil
2 cups white all purpose flour
3/4 cups of whole wheat flour
1 TBSP yeast for the bread maker (add last so it's on top)

Using the "dough" option, allow this to run though and knead and a rise, then remove before the second knead, and transfer to a floured surface. 


form your dough into a nice ball and allow to rest before rolling it out, and laying it out on a greased (and I did a foil lined) baking sheet or would fit on two smaller round pizza pans.

Next are the toppings.....

I chose to use a mild salsa as a sauce instead of pizza sauce, because I'm just not a big fan of traditional sauce....I also like to use basil pesto or sundried tomato pesto.




sliced red onion - sliced orange and yellow pepper - artichoke hearts - kalamata olives
julienned sundried tomatoes - feta cheese - shredded mozzarella cheese 




I like to put the veggies on before the cheese...it's my preference, but I'm sure what ever method of assembly that you would prefer would be fine. If you wanted to make this into a meat pizza, I would use shredded chicken or a seasoned ground sausage meat. (I would pre-cook either, and would likely boil in water to reduce the amount of grease that it would generate on the pizza)


Pre-heat your over to 500 degrees and turn on the convection. I recommend using the lowest rack in your oven for this so that you get a nice crust. It will not take long, so keep an eye out. This large pizza took around 20 minutes, but smaller pans (perhaps that are not a thick as my heavy gauge pans), will take less time. I like a browned, bubbly cheese....and this did not disappoint! Transfer immediately to wire racks to keep the bottom from getting to soggy as it cools, let it set, and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment